Tofugu is seeking an experienced React Native Software Engineer for continued development of WaniKani’s mobile apps. WaniKani is quite possibly the most widely-used program for learning Japanese kanji and vocabulary, and your work will have a direct impact on hundreds of thousands of people who are learning the Japanese language. You may even get a thank you card.
You will work with the team at Tofugu to build out additional features, refine and release the Android version of the app, and fix bugs as they’re reported. You will have an opportunity to take a leadership role as one of our first mobile engineers, having the ability to affect both apps’ futures.
- Over the first couple weeks, perform a code review on the current version of the app, coming up with suggestions on what improvements we can make. The previous developer of the v1 version of the app will be available for one-on-one time to help ease transition.
- At the same time, learn how WaniKani works, both from a philosophical and pedagogical standpoint.
- Fix bugs in a timely fashion as they come in, especially during the initial month of the iOS app’s publication (estimate: May 2019).
- Build on the current test plan, implementing and improving upon it as we increase moving parts.
- Continue to build out our automated testing suite.
- In the first six months, bring the iOS app to feature parity with the web app. That includes building in native iOS subscriptions, review options (wrap-up button, reviews summary), on-boarding tutorials, autoplay audio, various user settings, in-app registration, improved log-in, and more.
- Implement suggestions from point one (after completing code review).
- Within one year, ship an Android version of the app.
- You love React Native. A lot. You won't stop talking about it, and you’re good at it too. But you know it lives in the big, messy system of systems that is mobile.
- You are pragmatic with your attitude and approach, working with all those other systems to get the job done with minimal, clean code.
- You can navigate the various stores that apps live in and understand the quirks of their submission processes and payment models.
- The ability to create UI designs is a plus, the ability to implement them effectively (from tools such as Zeplin) is a must.
- An eye for design and user interface will be expected as well.
- Some (or a lot of) Japanese ability is very helpful but not necessary. A lack of Japanese language ability may be substituted with a willingness to learn it.
- You have excellent communication skills and are good at giving and receiving feedback.
- You enjoy working collaboratively and participating in team discussions and planning.
- Full-time, temporary with possibility for extension or permanent employment.
- Remote, or from our Portland, Oregon office
- $80,000-$100,000 annually
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance for employees in the USA. Monetary compensation for those outside the USA.
- 30 vacation days per year. 7 holiday days per year (choose your own).
- Free lunch and snacks for those working from our Portland, Oregon office.
- Reimbursement for coffees/teas/etc. for remote employees working from coffee or other shops.
- Reimbursement up to $200/month for remote work space rentals.
- Reimbursement for educational materials, programs, seminars, etc.
- Company retreat to Japan every 1.5 years.
- Paid trip to Portland, OR once or twice per year.
Tofugu is a company that believes that education (not just Japanese) improves lives. You’re expected to learn. A lot. About your job skills, Japanese, and about anything else that interests you. At the same time, we believe that working around forty hours a week is enough. You should spend time with your family, yourself, and your horse. That means that we expect you to be really good at what you do. And, we expect you to improve and learn at a hungry pace. If you believe in the same things, and you have the skills and experience listed, we’d love to talk to you.
To apply, send a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.