Tofugu is looking for part-time remote help with our social media accounts, focusing on Facebook and Twitter. The candidate will be expected to be able to:
- Write non-spammy, non-clickbaity posts. Posts on our social media accounts should go through the same careful consideration as one of our articles.
- Teach. When it comes down to it, Tofugu is about education. A percentage of what you write must teach our followers about Japan, the Japanese language, and more.
- Write "evergreen" content. A high percentage of the content you write should do just as well a year from now as it would do today. i.e. not tied to current events, news, and other time-related constraints.
- Be knowledgable about Japan. That includes but is not limited to current events (news), culture, society, history, and more.
- Have an excellent English ability. You should have "a way with words," as they say.
- Have some knowledge of the Japanese language. Although not necessarily required, it is a plus.
- Show creativity with how you do posts. There is a lot of opportunity to move beyond basic post types on social media and we would like someone who is up for pushing those boundaries.
Social Media Manager's Objectives
As is the case with most positions at Tofugu, your success will be measured by hard, cold, merciless numbers. With social media, that is fairly straight forward. We will expect our social media manager to:
- Grow our Twitter account to 100,000 followers by the end of 2017. This will be measured on a monthly basis, with expectations starting small and growing as time goes by.
- Grow our Facebook account to 200,000 followers by the end of 2017. This will be measured on a monthly basis, with expectations starting small and growing as time goes by.
- You may be asked to help with other social media outlets (Instagram, Vine, Snapchat), though for this position we are primarily focused Facebook and Twitter.
- You might post to G+ as well, though honestly who cares.
- Gain followers that are not fake, bots, or gained by cheesy tactics. It's impossible to completely avoid this, but the strategies used should reflect the fact that we want real people as followers. We expect that you will not use tactics like following to get followed back, asking people to follow us, or even writing clickbaity titles "just to get people to click." Followers gained should be due to the quality of your content and interactions, not anything else.
- Help respond to tweets, messages, comments, etc, within Facebook and Twitter. Interact with our followers and give them joy. Make them excited about Japan and the Japanese language.
Applying for This Position
To apply for the social media manager position, please send the following to email@example.com.
1. A Short Explanation (100 Words or Less) of Your Experience with Social Media.
This can include your past experience, your philosophy, or whatever you think makes you a particularly hoopy social media frood.
2. The Following Content:
Please keep track of your time while you are working on this step, to be provided at the end.
- Write 10 original tweets (with no externally facing links) that you think would do well on Tofugu's Twitter account. This can be all-text, photos, videos, and more, as long as it's not a link to another website.
- Write 10 original Facebook posts (with no externally facing links) that you think would do well on Tofugu's Facebook page. This can be all-text, photos, videos, and more, as long as it's not a link to another website.
- Write 10 tweets about our post: The Meaning of Itadakimasu.
- Write 10 Facebook posts about our post: Kagaya Izakaya: Frog is Stranger than Fiction.
- Write 10 tweets for 10 different Tofugu articles of your choice.
- Write 10 Facebook posts for 10 different Tofugu articles of your choice.
- Write 10 tweets that include a link to an external website (i.e. share a relevant link to our Twitter followers).
- Write 10 Facebook posts that include a link to an external website (i.e. share a relevant link to our Twitter followers).
Finally, please include the amount of time it took for you to complete Step 2. Round to the nearest 15 minutes.
3. Your Plan of Attack
If you got this position, how would you go about getting our Twitter to 100,000 followers, and our Facebook Page to 200,000 likes? Explain in 200 words or less.
Please write all of your answers (steps 1-3) in the body of your email. When writing tweets and Facebook posts, put images inline or provide a link to the image. For Tweets, include a character count. If you like, you may write a short explanation if you're worried you're being too clever for us.
Time, Location, & Compensation
This position is contract based, meaning you must provide your own equipment. But, this also allows you to work from anywhere (it is remote). It's estimated you'll have ~10 hours a week, and of course we don't mind if you are doing other jobs as well.
Compensation is hourly, starting at $25/hour.
Contractor paydays at Tofugu are on the 5th of the month, and pay for the previous month's work. For example, your work between October 1-31 would be paid on November 5. We can pay US-based workers via bank transfer or Paypal, and international workers only via Paypal.
There is no due-date for this position, though this posting will close once it has been filled.
Send questions and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.