Tofugu is looking for a Front-End Engineer experienced in UI/UX to join our dev team. You will mainly be working on our two main properties, Tofugu and WaniKani. You’ll be asked to work with designers, product managers, and other engineers. You’ll also do some of your own design work, your own product management, and engineering. Your work will make it possible to broaden how we deliver our content on Tofugu. You’ll also improve the usability and design of WaniKani. Your work will have a direct impact on millions of students trying to learn Japanese. You’ll also help hundreds or thousands of teachers who are trying to find a better way to teach it.
- In the first three months, you will update the design of the Tofugu website (built on Middleman) to fit our new branding guidelines.
- Over the first year and beyond, you will build out miniature apps and new sections onto the Tofugu website (e.g., conjugation helpers, counters search, hubs for specific topics, or a section to publish monographs and academic papers).
- In the first year, you will update the design of the WaniKani website (built on Ruby on Rails) to fit our new branding guidelines, as well as bring the web version of WaniKani in line with the mobile version.
- You’ll work with the dev and content teams to build and design new features on WaniKani.
- You’ll maintain and update the design of our various properties on a consistent, iterative basis.
- You have an excellent eye for design, color, and whitespace. You have some experience in, or are interested in readability of content too.
- You can create UI designs and then implement them effectively.
- You enjoy working and collaborating with a team. You can speak your mind, but at the same time you crave feedback for yourself.
- You are pragmatic with your attitude and approach, working with various systems to get the job done with minimal, clean code.
- You love to design for both mobile and the web, knowing the strengths (and weaknesses) of each.
- You have a familiarity with Ruby on Rails.
- Some (or a lot of) Japanese ability is a plus, but not necessary. A lack of Japanese ability may be substituted for a willingness to start learning it.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Remote, or from our Portland, Oregon office
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance for employees in the USA. Monetary compensation for those outside the USA.
- 30 days PTO per year. 7 holiday days per year (choose your own).
- Free lunch and snacks for those working from our Portland, Oregon office.
- Reimbursement for coffees/teas/etc. for remote employees working from coffee or other shops.
- Simple IRA retirement account with matching up to 3%.
- $500 a year for fitness reimbursement.
- $200 a year for home office reimbursement (remote).
- Internet reimbursement (remote).
- Reimbursement up to $200/month for remote work space rentals.
- Reimbursement for educational materials, programs, seminars, etc.
- Company retreat to Japan every 1.5 years.
- Paid trip to Portland, OR once or twice per year.
Tofugu is a company that believes that education (not just Japanese) improves lives. You’re expected to learn. A lot. About your job skills, Japanese, and about anything else that interests you. At the same time, we believe that working around forty hours a week is enough. You should spend time with your family, yourself, and your horse. That means that we expect you to be really good at what you do. And, we expect you to improve and learn at a hungry pace. If you believe in the same things, and you have the skills and experience listed, we’d love to talk to you.
To apply, send a cover letter (in PDF format) letting us know why you are the one to do The Work. Include a resumé (also PDF) and send it all to email@example.com.