Tofugu is looking for someone with an exceptional mind for teaching, experienced in the fields of Japanese language education, as well as education (and learning) in general. Responsibilities will include writing, coordinating, managing, and creating new and unique content for our various properties (currently Tofugu, EtoEto, and WaniKani). Your work will directly affect and help hundreds of thousands of Japanese language students around the world.
Compensation: $50,000/year to start, plus all full-time benefits
Location: Our office in Portland, Oregon, USA. Exceptional remote-only applicants will be considered.
Requirements: Teaching experience and/or experience creating unique Japanese language learning materials. Fluent (or above) proficiency in both English and Japanese. Also: Knowledge of audio-based learning theory, natural order, and spaced repetition will be considered a plus. You will need to be able to take ideas that have never been tried before in a consumer product and mold them into something truly innovative and useful for the end user (with guidance and help, of course).
Every position at Tofugu comes with a list of specific results that we are looking for, even before we hire someone. Candidates for this position will need to show the ability to accomplish the following:
- Write 50+ article/pages a year (approximately one per week) for tofugu.com, centering around Japanese learning topics. These may be (but are not limited to) grammar explanations, vocabulary explanations, ebooks, articles on learning methods, reviews of Japanese learning materials and resources, and more.
- Write EtoEto lesson scripts. These are 1-5 minute long scripts that we will turn into audio for use in EtoEto's main lessons. EtoEto scripts will be your main focus for 6-12 months with an expectation of high output during this period as we ramp up for launch.
- Coordinate the recording, and editing of EtoEto scripts, for regular release. This will require managing contractors and quality checking their work.
- Assist and/or be in charge of other Japanese language education related projects, as needed.
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- An example of a Japanese language lesson (or two, or three) you've created, showcasing your ability to create unique and effective lessons.
Exceptional candidates will be asked to do a short telephone interview, provide references, and participate in additional, longer interviews.
Please be sure to read through our employee handbook for more details on company culture and full-time benefits. Be warned that there are a lot of gifs and it may break your computer.
Send any questions and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.